- 1/2 small onion, chopped (you can add 1/2 small carrot, chopped and 1/2 small celery stalk, chopped)
- 3.5 oz ground chicken or ground turkey (can replace with any high fiber cooked grain: quinoa, buckwheat, etc)
- 1/2 cup canned beans (e.g. black, kidney or pinto beans), drained and rinsed (or spiralized courgette)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder or cayenne pepper (not essential)
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup strained tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Prepare the vegetables: chop the onion, carrot, and celery.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the chopped vegetables. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground chicken or turkey, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, and chili powder or cayenne pepper to the pot. Cook and stir for 10 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, tomato paste, strained tomatoes, water, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed. Serve and enjoy!
How to meal prep
You can easily double or triple this recipe to make multiple servings and store them in separate containers in the refrigerator. This chili will last for 3-4 days in the fridge, and it also freezes well for up to 3 months. Just reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop when you're ready to eat.
- Beans are a great source of fiber, which can help keep you full and satisfied for longer periods, aiding in weight loss. They are also a good source of plant-based protein and complex carbohydrates.
- Ground chicken or turkey is a leaner, lower-calorie alternative to ground beef, making it a healthier choice for those looking to lose weight.
- Spices such as chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper not only add flavor to the dish but also offer potential health benefits. Capsaicin, the active compound in cayenne peppers, has been shown to boost metabolism, help with digestion, and potentially aid in weight loss.